In preparation for the reauthorization of the Higher Education Act, the Committee on Education and the Workforce wants input from students, parents, the higher education community, employers, and other stakeholders to suggest policy changes and amendments to strengthen the law.
Check out this Notice for feedback for more information and instructions on how to submit your ideas.
ACCET solicits comments from state and federal agencies and the general public regarding institutions coming under consideration for accreditation in the next two review cycles, as listed below.
Call for Comment Survey – August 2013
Documents for Review in August 2013
Attention ACCET Vocational Institution Members:
Please find this Annual Statistics Reporting Letter (2012) outlining the requirements and directions for submission of the Annual Completion and Placement Report for calendar year 2012, to be submitted via AMS by May 1, 2013.
If you have any questions, please contact Linsay Oakden at the ACCET office.
*Need help troubleshooting in AMS? Visit our AMS Help & FAQ page for assistance.*
GAW Newz Service
March 7, 2013
Army Suspends TA Effective 8 March … Army G1
“Due to the current fiscal challenges, the Secretary of the Army has approved
the suspension of Tuition Assistance (TA) effective 1700 EST Friday, 8 Mar
13. The suspension applies to all components and will remain effect until
the fiscal situation matures.
Effective 1700 EST 8 Mar 13, Soldiers will no longer be permitted to submit
new requests for Tuition Assistance through the GoArmyEd portal. Soldiers
currently enrolled and participating in courses approved for tuition
assistance are not affected and will be allowed to complete current
Soldiers can continue to access their GI Bill benefits, if applicable
(either the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) or the Post 9/11 GI Bill), or use
another funding sources (i.e. grants, scholarships, or Army National Guard
Soldiers using state Tuition Assistance). Soldiers should be encouraged to
contact their local education centers for additional information. Updated
information will also be posted to www.goarmyed.com.
The Army understands the impacts of this decision and will re-assess as the
fiscal situation matures.
ACCET is pleased to announce the dates and location of our 2013 Annual Conference:
October 25-27, 2013
Walt Disney World Swan Hotel
1500 EPCOT Resorts Blvd.
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Register for the conference at our Conference Event Page. Conference programs will be available soon on the ACCET website.
ACCET offers a quarterly Financial Aid newsletter as a service to our institutions who are eligible for or are applying for Title IV funding. This issue covers the following topics:
- GE Court Decision
- FSA Credit Balances – Using A Contractor
- Sub Loan Interest Rate Remains 3.4%
- Guidance On State Authorization (Pi Regs)
- Title Iv Eligibility For Students Without A High School Diploma
- EO 13607 Principles Of Excellence
- Disability Accommodation Guidance Revised
The Accrediting Commission for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET), a nationally recognized, non-profit accrediting association in Washington, DC, is seeking qualified individuals to submit applications for the position of Executive Director. The ACCET Executive Director is the chief executive officer of the accrediting agency, and reports to the ACCET Accrediting Commission.
The successful applicant will have a comprehensive understanding of and significant background in executive-level management, in conjunction with at least ten years of experience in and knowledge of postsecondary education, a thorough knowledge of higher education accreditation, working knowledge of accrediting evaluation methods, the ability to guide a diverse group of institutions through today’s complex world of higher education challenges, through the capable management, inspiration and leadership of this increasingly international accrediting organization.
A well-established reputation and record of integrity and ethical conduct in professional activities that include involvement in accreditation is essential, to engender confidence, trust and respect among Federal, State, and higher education policy makers and regulators. Excellent communication skills with a management style that inspires staff respect and loyalty by exemplifying open, thoughtful, and team-centered leadership is imperative.
The successful applicant must be able to function at a high level of effectiveness, and must have a solid working knowledge of technology, a strong working knowledge of budgeting and personnel management, and a sound knowledge of for-profit business management.
Experience, Abilities and Educational Requirements
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with an advanced academic degree preferred
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in leadership positions with responsibility for administrative, personnel, financial/budgetary functions, along with strategic planning, with a preference for experience with an ACCET accredited institution
- Significant experience and background in educational accreditation with knowledge of USDE regulations and experience in the USDE recognition process
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders, including institutions/programs engaged in distance education, continuing education, vocational education, professional and personal development, intensive English programs, educational organizations, regulators, nonprofit organizations, and volunteers; experience in collaborative leadership and in conducting association-type relations preferred
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication and an ability to interpret and apply policies, procedures, and regulations
- Willingness to travel frequently both domestically and internationally
- A demonstrated ability with data analysis, budgeting, and financial reporting; the ability to implement the strategic planning of the organization, prioritization of issues, problem solving, time and process management, team building, and organizational agility; the ability to analyze the components of the accreditation process, and guide the ACCET Commission and staff toward ongoing self-review and improvements in the effectiveness and efficiency of its policies, procedures and practices
- Experience with information management systems to collect, compile, analyze, and apply accreditation related data in assisting the Commission to reach valid and reliable judgments on institutions seeking ACCET accreditation
- A demonstrated ability to get results via effective conflict resolution, with integrity, open-mindedness, and fairness
- Commitment to continuous improvement and self- development; ability to multi-task and work under pressure in a small, fast-paced office, with a management style characterized by consensus building, teamwork, openness and good humor
ACCET is a non- governmental, postsecondary educational organization that operates a nationally recognized accrediting association. ACCET has a staff of 10 full-time professionals at its Washington, D.C. office and accredits over 650 educational institutions around the world. For more information visit: www.ACCET.org.
Submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. All Resumes must be received by no later than February 11, 2013 to be considered. Candidates must be available to start in July 2013.
View our 2012 Conference Highlights!
Also don’t forget to:
- Register for the conference.
- Book your hotel room. The discount hotel cut-off date is Oct. 5th and it is already at 94% of our total room block
- Don’t miss this opportunity to pay tribute to our retiring Executive Director, Roger Williams
- And, finally: order your absentee ballot for the November 6th elections
On August 8, 2012, the Nominating Committee completed its review of three candidates for the two full-term Institutional Commissioner positions that will become open following the Annual Business Meeting this Fall. Following its review of resumes and subsequent interviews with selected candidates, the Nominating Committee recommends the following two members in the election of two Institutional Commissioners by the membership at the ACCET Business Meeting on Monday, November 5, 2012, the opening day of the annual conference at the Hyatt Regency Hotel at Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
- Alexandra Zilovic, Vice President, N.A. Operations & Business Affairs, ELS Educational Services
- Nicholas Hastain, President, Mid-Atlantic Division, Premier Education Group
ACCET member institutions may submit additional nominations provided that such submission has the written support of ten percent (23) of the current ACCET accredited member (main campus) institutions. All such nominations and the required written support must be received in the ACCET office at 1722 N Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036, no later than September 28, 2012. If there are additional nominees, a written notification of the entire, amended slate will be emailed to each accredited member institution by October 1, 2012.
The Proxy/Ballot form can be forwarded to the ACCET office in hard copy or electronically by email to Judy Hendrickson. We sincerely hope that you will be in attendance at the upcoming Annual Conference, including the Business Meeting, so as to be actively attuned to and engaged in this important process for ensuring the continuation of sound leadership at the foundation of our partnership for quality. At a time when much of the proprietary sector is under heightened scrutiny in both the media and various governmental agencies, that leadership is central to our continued recognition as a valid and reliable authority in the important role we serve together through accreditation. Accordingly, your presence and/or your proxy/ballot are essential to complete the election process.
FROM: ACCET Nominating Committee
David Wilson, Chair, Commission
Tibby Loveman, Vice Chair Commission
Elizabeth Schaefer, Past Chair, Commission
Francisco Barrera, Member Institution, LADO
Elizabeth Hepler, Member Institution, Steiner/Utah School of Massage Therapy
Roger J. Williams, Executive Director (ex-officio)